At present, online sports betting in the state of Missouri is currently illegal. However, over the last several years there has been a push to legalize it in the state– especially as more states nationwide have legalized online sports betting. In 2018, there were several attempts to have a bill passed in state legislature that would have allowed a Missouri online sportsbook to be established but none of them passed.
Dan Shaul, Missouri State Representative, just introduced a new bill that would legalize sports betting in the state in a trustworthy environment. HB 2088 calls for state-wide retail and mobile sports betting with a 9% tax on gross gaming revenue, and does include a mandate for the use of official league data, but does not include an integrity fee. Shaul said his bill could go to the House floor next week or in early March. The goal is to move HB 2088 when Shaul is comfortable with number of votes needed to pass with enough time for the Senate to consider before the legislative session ends in May.
- Most Likely Missouri Online Sports Betting Sites
- Missouri Betting Laws
- Missouri Online Sports Betting: Events and Betting Markets
- Common Payment Options
- Missouri Casinos
- Final Thoughts on Betting in Missouri
- Missouri Online Sports Betting FAQ
Most Likely Missouri Online Sports Betting Sites
Once online sports betting is legalized in the state, there are a number of well established and popular online platforms that are likely to launch a Missouri online sportsbook on day 1.
BetMGM is one of the top sports betting sites and a favorite of sports fans everywhere. They boast a large number of sports such as football, baseball, basketball and more that fans can choose to bet on. They also have a very well functioning app that allows users to bet on the go in states where online sports gambling is legal– so long as you are 21 years of age or older and located within the state lines of a state where online sports betting is legal. In addition, they allow users a number of ways to set up payment for whatever is most convenient for them which makes getting started and playing right away incredibly simple and straightforward.
FanDuel is another popular online platform for sports gambling that will certainly have a Missouri online sportsbook when sports betting is fully legal in the state. FanDuel allows you to bet directly on sports or compete against your friends for cash prizes. They also offer a wide variety of sports to bet on such as soccer, football, hockey, basketball and more. In addition, they offer betting on fantasy sports as well which allows you another may to win. FanDuel is the second largest fantasy sports betting site in the country besides DraftKings. Like many other popular online sports gambling sites, in order to play online with FanDuel you have to be at least 21 years of age and located within the state lines of a state where online sports gambling is legal.
DraftKings is also one of the top sports betting sites and is very popular with those sports enthusiasts who are also very into playing fantasy sports. It is also possible to bet normally on sports with DraftKings online sportsbook. DraftKings is particularly popular with fans of sports that have a big fantasy following such as NFL, MLB, NBA and more. DraftKings, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, is the largest online fantasy sportsbook in the country at present with over eight million users at present. They have a particularly close relationship with Major League Baseball who invested in the company in 2013, becoming the first professional sports organization in the United States to invest in a fantasy sports betting operator.
FOX Bet is currently only legal in the states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania though they do have plans to expand into other markets as more and more states legalize online sports betting in the coming years. This platform would surely be a hit if Missouri online sports betting becomes legal in the state, particularly considering how successful and popular it has become in the states where it has already launched. Like the other sports betting operators listed above, in order to play on FOX Bet you must be over the age of 21, and located within the state lines of New Jersey or Philadelphia.
Missouri Betting Laws
At present, there are only a few types of betting that are legal in Missouri. Bingo, lottery, traditional casino gaming, and pull tabs are legal but Missouri online sports betting is not legal in any form at the present time. As we mentioned earlier, there is a big push to fully legalize sports betting in Missouri which would then make it easier for online casinos to operate in the state.
Missouri Online Sports Betting: Events and Betting Markets
So if Missouri online sports betting becomes fully legalized in the state, what can we expect from all the different operators? In addition, what are some of the most common bets that we are likely to see from those operators?
Common Types of Bets
There are many different types of bets that you can choose from when you choose to bet on online sports. When Missouri online sports betting becomes fully legal there are a number of different ways you will be able to bet. Let’s take soccer for example– and let’s say Manchester United are playing Liverpool. You know from research that Liverpool are doing very well this season so you can choose to place a bet on Liverpool being the winner of the game. Within the game, you can choose on many other different things to bet on like first goal scorer, first person to receive a yellow card, most shots on target, final score and more.
Another way to bet is to do a final result spread bet. This is a low risk high reward way to make a lot of money. In this type of betting, you put say $1 on a list of final results. You pick let’s say 10 games and you pick the winner of each of those games. If all of those games go in favor of the team you picked your $1 could go a long way in terms of earning you a high payout.
Most Popular Sports to Bet On
In the United States there are many popular sports to bet on. Let’s just go over a few of the most popular sports at top sports betting sites, and what can be expected when Missouri online sports betting becomes fully legal.
- NFL – The National Football League is a favorite of sports enthusiasts all over the country, particularly because there is always a big fantasy football element to it as well. On any given Sunday you can bet on your favorite team to win, most yardage gained, most touchdowns thrown or scored, final scores and more.
- NBA – The National Basketball Association has many games throughout the season that will give any basketball fan the chance to make some decent money. There are many different ways to play including predicting the winner of a given game, most three pointers scored, rebounds, free throws and much more.
- Soccer– As we mentioned above, soccer is an increasingly popular sport in the United States and there are many different ways to bet on it at an online casino. Unlike some of the other sports in the US, soccer also has a big presence overseas. So you can bet on national event like Major League Soccer games, or you can bet on European soccer games from the English Premier League, La Liga, the Champions League, the Bunedsliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and more.
- MLB – Major League Baseball is one of the most popular forms of sports to bet on. Because it is such a highly statistical game, there are so many different types of best you can utilize at an online casino to win big. You can bet on final results, batting averages, runs batted in, and more!
- NHL – The National Hockey League is another one of the most popular sports to bet on in the United States. With the NHL you can bet on final results, first goal scored, saves, Stanley Cup Winner and much much more.
Popular Missouri Events
Most of the most popular events in Missouri revolve around their sports teams– even though Missouri online sports betting is not fully legal at this point in time. St. Louis is the biggest city in St. Louis and a number of the most popular sports teams hail from there except for the Kansas City Chiefs, who come from Kansas City of course.
Best Teams to Bet On
There are a number of great sports teams that hail from the state of Missouri. These will be particularly important to keep in mind when Missouri online sports betting becomes fully legal. Let’s take a look at just a few.
- Kansas City Chiefs – The Superbowl Champions!! The Kansas City Chiefs (who despite some confusion) actually do hail from Kansas City, Missouri and not Kansas City, Kansas were recently crowned Super Bowl champions in 2020. Their star Quarterback Patrick Mahomes was crowned the youngest ever Superbowl MVP at the age of 24, so they are a fairly safe bet to continue to have a lot of success in the coming years.
- St. Louis Cardinals– The St. Louis Cardinals have been of the strongest franchises in Major League Baseball over the last decade. They most recently won the World Series in 2011, but have been perennial appearance makers in the postseason.
- Mizzou – Mizzou also known as the University of Missouri are one of the strongest programs in collegiate athletics. They play Division One football, basketball, track and field and more!
- St. Louis Blues– The St. Louis Blues are Missouri’s only NHL team. They have had an excellent record over the last few seasons including their first ever Stanley Cup victory in 2019.
Common Payment Options
There are a number of payment options that are available at the brick and mortar casinos in Missouri. Some of the most popular are:
- Cash on site
- Debit Card
- Credit Card
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
This Kansas City Hotel and Casino is very close to the Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Kansas City Chiefs. It has glorious views overlooking the Missouri River and boasts over 15,000 square foot of space with over 2,800 video poker and slot machines, 57 table games, a live poker room with more than 15 tables and a luxury hotel with over 180 rooms.
Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
The Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa is located in Riverside, Missouri. They have dozens of table games, slot machines, as well as boasting a full service spa and world-class dining. This complex will no doubt be a favorite for Missouri online sports betting when it is fully legal in the state.
River City Casino & Hotel
The River City Casino & Hotel located in the greater St. Louis, Missouri area is a favorite of locals and tourists alike. The property is located on the banks of the Mississippi river and has glorious views of the water. They boast over 90,000 square feet of game space and have a variety of slots, table games, as well as an in house sports bar and music venue.
Indigo Sky Casino
Located just across the state lines in Oklahoma, the Indigo Sky Casino is a favorite for those living close to the Missouri, Oklahoma border. They offer a number of slot games, table games, live poker, and more!
Final Thoughts on Betting in Missouri
Although Missouri online sports betting is currently illegal, it is clear that once gambling has been fully legalized in the state, the infrastructure is in place to make online sportsbooks an incredibly easy and seamless process for those looking to bet on sports.
Missouri Online Sports Betting FAQ
Below we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions surrounding Missouri online sports betting.
Are sports betting sites legal in the United States?
Yes. There are many sports betting sites and operators that are fully functional and legal in the United States at present. However, legality around each of those betting sites and operators is dependent on the specific state at this point in time. Currently, sports gambling is fully legal in 18 states, through that number is expected to continue growing as more and more states are making it fully legal to bet on sports within their jurisdiction. Once Missouri online sports betting is fully legal, all of the operators in the state will be subject to the same rules and regulations that the operators in other states are currently subject to.
What do I need to register at an online betting site in Missouri?
It is important to remember that at present Missouri online sports betting is not fully legal. When it does pass however, what you will need to set up a fully functional account is the following: you will need to be 21 years of age or older with a valid form of ID, an accepted of payment which is typically in the form of a bank account, cash on site, credit/debit card, Neteller, PayNearMe or others. In addition, you will have to be physically located within in the state limits of a state where online sports betting is fully legal.
Is it safe to deposit money at sports betting sites in Missouri?
Yes! Rest assured any sports operator that’s likely to launch in Missouri will have the very latest in encrypted software so all of your personal and financial information will be safe and secure. However you choose to add funds to your account, let your mind rest at ease knowing that all of your information will be safe from any hackers trying to access it.
Can I set betting limits?
Yes. It is very likely that when sports gambling is legal in Missouri that you will be able to set betting limits at a variety of operators.